The Book of Mormon: What Would My Life Be Like without It?

My soon-to-be husband (unbeknownst to me) Rob and I had just descended from the Y Mountain in Provo, Utah. He had opened the door for me and let me shiver from inside his Chevy Cruise and was walking around the back of it when a boy approached him shyly. I was watching from the rear view mirror suspiciously, but when they seemed to be carrying on a conversation I couldn't help but turn around. Rob ducked his head level to the window and mouthed: They need our help.
When we followed the boy we saw a sad sight. A teenage girl obviously distraught because two of her tires were flat. We were happy and eager to call AAA or anybody, but she this only made her more nervous. She had taken this car out for this drive while her mom was out of town, see. Two of her friends had tagged along. Her mother had no idea and she wanted to keep it that way. We ended up calling somebody anyway to bring two spares. As we waited, Rob jumped up and grinned.
"Who wants hot chocolate?"
We all did; it was freezing. What was surprising was that two boys asked to come with us. We drove to the nearest 7/11 and bought five hot chocolates and drove back up to the mouth of the trail. The situation had improved! Unbelievably, a man who owned a car shop had stopped and offered his help. There was still some waiting, so the first two boys just asked us to take them home since everything was okay now. As we drove, we chatted. The two were juniors on their high school soccer team. We told them we went to Brigham Young University, and they asked if we served missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (they did not ask so explicit a question, I just expand it here for understanding). I had served in Tokyo, Japan and Rob served in Rome, Italy. They thought that was pretty cool. They admitted that they weren't members of the same church themselves, but they thought missions were pretty cool. We didn't stay on that topic for too long and returned to small talk until we reached University Avenue, where the Provo City Center Temple is. One kid found some nerve and asked:
"Who is the guy on top?"
Rob grinned at me from his peripherals.
"He's Moroni. We believe he was a prophet just like Moses. He's sounding a trump to get ready for the Second Coming of Christ." I whipped around in my seat: "Ya ready?" I joked.
From there it was easy for Rob to progress into an introduction of the Book of Mormon. One of the two boys had received one already but the other had never seen one in his life. Rob always kept one in the pocket of the door of the passenger's seat. I handed it to him as we dropped them off. He stared at it as he walked into his apartment building.
As we returned to our own apartments, Rob began to tear up.
"You okay?" I cooed.
"I think I'm going crazy," he chuckled. "I was just thinking about all the gas I just wasted, but when I looked at my fuel gauge, and the tank is more full than when we started!"
*****
That was the last time I handed out a Book of Mormon. About a year ago. So me, the now married woman sat and listened to President Russel M. Nelson's discourse on the Book of Mormon during this October's General Conference and I felt guilty. He's giving out Books of Mormon to Kings!
But, now I already know the difference between doctrines, principles, and practices. Just because I haven't followed the practice of sharing the physical Book of Mormon with someone does not mean I am not living by the doctrines and principles found inside. 
I ought to strive to share it, for sure. Yet, even after a year hiatus, I can still share my testimony that it has taught me about my Savior and has strengthened my faith in Him and His doctrines and principles. President Nelson said: "Whenever I hear anyone, including myself, say, “I know the Book of Mormon is true,” I want to exclaim, “That’s nice, but it is not enough!” We need to feel, deep in “the inmost part” of our hearts, that the Book of Mormon is unequivocally the word of God. We must feel it so deeply that we would never want to live even one day without it. I might paraphrase President Brigham Young in saying, “I wish I had the voice of seven thunders to wake up the people” to the truth and power of the Book of Mormon."



And so in that same token, I want to also add that my courtship then and marriage now with Rob could not and cannot live one day without the Book of Mormon. It is to "the sacred word of God, to which we owe all our happiness" (Alma 44:5). 
I love it and I am happy to share it with you, just ask!

You can Find President Russel M. Nelson's talk here: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2017/10/the-book-of-mormon-what-would-your-life-be-like-without-it?lang=eng
And that scripture that I quoted here: https://www.lds.org/scriptures/bofm/alma/44.5?lang=eng#4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Scary Movies Taught Me

Five Broken Cameras

Mourn with Those that Mourn