If You Don't Have Time to Read, You Don't Have Time to Write

"I wish I had time to read! I have too much homework" a girl shrieked at me during the third hour of my shift at work.
Hi, nice to meet you. I am the antagonist to all your excuses. I am currently enrolled in 17.5 credits, I typically work 12-20 hours a week on Brigham Young University campus as a secretary for the Communications: News and Media department, I volunteer for three hours a week, I cook homemade meals at least five times in the week and I still have time to read.
I am not bragging I am not saying I am better than anyone. But as a college student I must write, and if I must write, I must also make time to read.
I got the title from a quote out of Stephen King's "On Writing" which I read in my free time. Doesn't this parallel make sense? Am I wrong to desperately cling to my reading time?
You know, I am only going to get busier. I don't think a crying baby will work around my reading schedule.
So I made some goals to help me read better.




1. I will write a hypothesis before every reading




1. I will write a hypothesis before every reading
2. I will summarize in my mind after every page.
3. I will make up a system to memorize needful information after I read.
Hopefully this, combined with my Cornell method note taking habit will also help me write better.

Comments

  1. That's great that you find time to read! Is it typically leisure books? If so, what kind of books?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would consider them leisure books! They're all tied to my major but that's just because I am super duper interested and loving my major. I like books on writing and journalism.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What Scary Movies Taught Me

Five Broken Cameras

Mourn with Those that Mourn