Flood the Earth

"What does a prophet have to say in 2017?"
There I stood, knees locked, sucking the air to fill my lungs to their greatest capacity, singing so loud I might as well have been alone because I could not hear anyone else in my Sunday school class. I would not break eye contact with the cold, black camera lens admiring my effort.
I grew up believing in a prophet of God my whole life. I sang songs about God's prophets, memorized their immortalized words in the scriptures, and even wrote birthday cards to the living ones. I remember when President Hinckley died in 2008, I was sad but not scared or shaken in my twelve-year-old faith.
On this day of the recording, we celebrated his ninetieth birthday. Us nine-year-old kids were singing praises to the very trump of God and I was doing my darnedest to sing my best for him. We had sung our last note, the director had his finger on the "stop" button of his camera, and before he pronounced the "t" in "cut," I felt a nauseating dizziness and threw up, unfortunately splashing some of my friends from Sunday School. To this day, I do not know if  they ended up keeping that take and sending it to the prophet. Of course, nine-year-old me hoped they would, for if I, the one who had been trying her best, was not in the video, the irony would have broken my heart.
I often wonder what President Hinckley would have thought of the girl who sang so hard she vomited for him.
Prophets are great men, but they are greater for their calling. One man holding God's Melchizedek Priesthood is ordained by God to speak his words to the world today. This is not something one signs up for, I would think it sacrilegious to even say that one is hired for this mantle. God does not look on the resume. Today, the world has the prophet President Thomas S. Monson. His words are just as valuable and life saving as the words of Noah before the flood. Every message he shares with the world during General Conference every April and October has unparalleled prevalence. Sure, some are free to reject his words and not follow his counsel, which is definitely from God Himself, but others are still free to lock their knees while singing and blow chunks for him, too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Scary Movies Taught Me

Five Broken Cameras

Mourn with Those that Mourn