Second Week on the Job

This was the first week without the Italian high school interns. This meant that I was all my boss had; an outgoing, loud, American girl with stumbling Italian.

It was my chance to shine.

And shine I did when I approached my boss and proposed projects I could do for the newsroom. I proposed four. I presented them all in under three minutes because I know he is very busy. He had something else to do immediately after my presentation, but as he was showing me out of his office he said: "I like those last two you talked about-do those."

That is how I ended up picking up two projects for the station. But it is a good thing I did because otherwise, I would not have much to do outside of teaching English on the radio every day. My lessons have still seen improvement this week; I started basing my lessons off of popular songs. Since I am teaching live on the radio, I smartened up and starting using all of my resources. Now, we listen to a song in English, and I teach them some of the words in the song. That way, they hear it in the song and hopefully retain the vocabulary better.

 I will train journalists on proper camera positioning in the field and be a social media manager. Thanks to my initiative, I am now busy all the time.

I constantly scour the analytics of our profiles, plot future posts, and scheme up ways to use the addicting apps to my advantage. At a moment's notice, I am called away to help someone film something. Most of the time, my arm is the only part of me that gets the credit; I hold the microphone during an interview. But the setup is vital to a professional newscast. If I wasn't there to hold the mic, it would look very unprofessional for the interviewee to hold his or her own mic. Also, I have had to learn how close to hold a microphone to someone's mouth; it takes practice. I am pumped out of my mind.

I hate leaving our little shack of a radio station/newsroom. I always have something to do. Luckily, I will only have more time to spend there from here on out.

Naturally, I think about all the decisions that have lead me to this point. Last semester, I added an Italian class and social media class to my already full schedule. All the while I volunteered weekly in the newsroom of my university. My husband thought I was going to lose my mind. Maybe I did a little. Italian did not come as easily as I had hoped it would. I absolutely despised my social media bro-of-a-professor and found his content mundane. Volunteering in the control room of a newsroom was honestly one of more stressful things I had ever volunteered to do, and the constant cussing from my colleagues and professors only made it worse. There were times I wanted to quit it all. But I kept at it, without a very good reason.

Now, only two months later, I am realizing all the skills I learned. I have my reason for squeezing it all into my schedule. My Italian brought me to Italy and gave me an internship where people compliment me every day on how well I've learned it. I would have no idea where to start managing social media without the direction of that professor I hated. Even though it terrified me to see professors get so angry they would cuss us out, they drilled principles of news casting into my head. I may forget the struggle it was to learn all that I did in that stressful semester - my husband certainly will not - but I will never forget this principles I learned and put to immediate use.

Like Jim Carrey says: "The choices make you."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Scary Movies Taught Me

Five Broken Cameras

Mourn with Those that Mourn