"The Most Powerful Knowledge I Possess"*

Today, June 3, 2018, I was a witness to two religious ordinances. Thanks to video messaging, I was able to see my friend in Tokyo, Japan get baptized in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After that, I went to Mass here in Sienna where eighteen children had their first communion.

Naturally, there are some doctrinal differences between an LDS baptism and a Catholic communion, but the two have the same purpose: helping people feel like they belong to something.



I recognized how my own religious rites gave me my sense of belonging. My testimony of my Church influences the way I dress everyday, the way I talk, and the food I eat. My Church attendance gave me friends, confidants, and role models.

This week was the fortieth anniversary of the 1978 Revelation; those of African descent were extended the blessings of the temple and Priesthood. It was appropriately titled: "Be One."

In the April 2018 General Conference session, this was said: "You are a child of God. He is the father of your spirit. Spiritually you are of noble birth, the offspring of the King of Heaven. Fix that truth in your mind and hold to it. However many generations in your mortal ancestry, no matter what race or people you represent, the pedigree of your spirit can be written on a single line. You are a child of God!”

It is so important to have an identity. The simpler the origin of the identity, the easier it will be to hold on to.

For example, I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. But even this identity can be too complex. It's a long name for one, and requires explanation. Instead, I like to tell people I am a Christian who identifies as Mormon. This came in handy last week.

My Italian professor asked the class-a man from New York, another from Moscow, a university student from Notre Dame, and me-if any of us had ever seen the Pope. I raised my hand and sort of squealed in excitement like I tend to do.

"I have! I was lucky enough to be in Rome on a Wednesday, and the Pope gives a discourse every Wednesday at the Vatican so I went! I heard him pray and bless us and sing a hymn."

The professor smiled and asked: "That's interesting because you do not believe in the Pope."

I rebuffed: "I am a Christian who identifies as a Mormon. I love everything Christian and good. If it makes me feel good, I like it and I study it."

Because my identity is simple, I can relate it to all sorts of situations. If my identity was too specified or complex, I might judge others and exclude them because they are not a part of my identity. I might look down at the eighteen kids who received their confirmation because they are not identifying themselves the same way I am. Instead, when the core of my identity is that I am a child of God, I know that everybody else is too. No matter what someone says or does, I can have a kindred spirit with that person, because we have the same, simple identity.

This is "the most powerful knowledge I possess" because it opens up my circle of friends wider than ever. Imagine how lonely I would be in Sienna if I was only friends with LDS people, from Utah, with curly hair. It just cannot be done.

Today I was grateful to witness others finding themselves through religion. They have entered a community that will make them feel needed, wanted, and loved. Every day I am grateful that I have found myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Scary Movies Taught Me

Five Broken Cameras

Mourn with Those that Mourn