Why I Choose Honor*

Disclaimer: If you don't know what the BYU Honor Code is, scroll to the bottom of this post!**

I think “honor” is the wrong word for BYU’s code of conduct.

Honor is public. Honorable people are popular and applauded. Does Brigham Young University really want its students living the Honor Code just for the glory of it?

No one will ever be recognized for how well he or she lived the Honor Code. Heaven knows the infamy that follows those who disobey it. Still, there is no reward, scholarship, or accolade for those who obey. No good deed goes unpunished, and there is no honor for those who live the Honor Code. One person cannot be more honorable or moral than another, for this is all relative and personal.
Nobody on earth has ever been praised for how good or moral or honorable they were. Even Jesus Christ, the only perfect man to walk the earth, denied being good. When a man called Him “Good Master,” Christ replied swiftly: “Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God.”

The point of the Honor Code is to live it, especially when nobody is looking. If we only cared about getting caught, the Honor Code would be less like a code of conduct and more like the Red Scare of the 1950’s. We would live in fear. We would be good only to save our skins. But to live “Honorably” as this university requires, would save our souls.


I will never receive any recognition my own good deeds I do. There is no couponing gold medal, no award for compliment giving, no trophy for studying scriptures or General Conference talks. But I don’t do any of those things for the recognition. I am a hidden, peculiar person and I know I am not alone. For all around campus I see hundreds of people who deserve laud, honor, and praise. God’s temples are full of worthy people living high standards. These are the quiet and the kind. And they will not take credit for it.

When I say “she received the honor,” without even finishing the sentence, you can feel the connotation that this person competed for and won something. But our Honor Code is not something to be earned. It is not a competition. One cannot live the Honor Code better than another. Individual commitment is relative. No one will ever be recognized for how well he or she lived the Honor Code. There is no reward, scholarship, or accolade for those who obey. For us, there is no actual honor for those who live the Honor Code.

The Lord does not want us to chase honor. He tells us so Himself in Doctrine and Covenants Section 121 versus 34 and 35: “Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen? Because their hearts . . . aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson— That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness . . . when we undertake . . . to gratify our pride, our vain ambition . . . behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.”

            Honor is a funny word.

            I believe it is in my best interest to follow the Honor Code for me and me only. I do not live this code of conduct with the expectation of receiving recognition for doing so, because I know I would be sorely disappointed at the end of the day.

            I actually prefer being secretly good. I love the moments when I am true to my commitment and I am the only one who knows about it. I get a thrill out of it.

            You might never get a high five for using clean language. Maybe no one will ever give you a fist bump for your honesty. I would not count on it if I were you. Just remember that the Honor Code isn’t want it sounds like; you won’t get any honor for it. I hope you can just see that you are good because you believe you are good.

            As long as I have a single hand to give myself a pat on the back, I will. I can’t say that much more than that would make me much happier.

            

**Disclaimer: The BYU Honor Code is the code of conduct for all students and faculty of Brigham Young University. You can read more here:
https://honorcode.byu.edu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What Scary Movies Taught Me

Five Broken Cameras

Mourn with Those that Mourn